Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Doctor's Office

Yesterday, I began to feel somewhat sick with a sore throat probably because of all of the air pollution from untreated emissions from small household factories and coal burning, but maybe because I relapsed and was smoking again.

I was very uncomfortable when I woke up owing to clogged sinuses and a very sore throat, so I went to the 'doctor' after breakfast. I told the doctor I had caught a cold and was stuffy and my throat hurt. The doctor got out a tongue depressor and looked into my throat. I was somewhat disappointed to see her immediately put the tongue depressor back into the same jar she got it from. I had heard they do that here, but I had forgotten. The thermometer was half-heartedly wiped with a piece of alcohol flavored cotton and then unceremoniously shoved under my tongue.

The diagnosis was quickly settled on. I needed shots of antibiotic in the posterior, and nothing else would help. This was a welcome respite from American doctors who often want to send a sample to a laboratory to test for strep throat. I didn't want shots, but when I saw they had individually wrapped disposable syringes I relented. They didn't let on that they were going to give me two shots at a time and two more at night until it was already too late.

I have to go back again to let them check me out again tomorrow, which I dread. I will have to bring my own tongue depressor

The funniest thing on the web:
The Bugle
This is a Podcast from The Times online. Two British Comedians Andy Zaltzman and John Oliver (used to work for The Daily Show, may still) give their extremely funny take on British domestic as well as international news.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's fucked. You should ask me to tell you the joke about the ghetto doctor...it's a classic Mitch joke, and it's absolutely not funny (which is why it's so brilliant). Anyway Don't eat too many coffee jellos, or whatever they're feeding you there.
-J