Monday, July 21, 2008

drive-by

Yesterday I was on the public bus headed back to my home at the foot of Tea mountain in the desolate university 'town.' The bus was nearing the university town when my wife and I noticed the right rear wheel lurch into one of ubiquitous potholes filled with mud and gravel sending a spray of murky liquid directly into the face of a young man who was riding his moped at close quarters. We both gasped in empathetic disgust, and my wife said she would have stopped the bus and demanded recompense, which is exactly what the young man did. He followed the bus under the overpass, and overtook the us when we had to slow down where the road has not been finished yet. he then stopped his moped directly in front of the bus and the driver opened the door so they could have a shouting match. It is at this point I must apologize to the reader, for this tale is anticlimactic. They just shouted for awhile, and did not fight or even swear at each other. I should have taken a picture, but didn't. Eventually the young man left when he realized that the bus driver was willing to say sorry, but with a caveat, he still blamed the moped rider for not looking where he was going. We saw another person get nailed by a careless driver the same day, but this was a pedestrian, and while he swore the car drove on and there was no fight then either.
I suppose this post is somewhat disappointing, but at least now the reader can share mine and I will feel better.

No comments: