Friday, December 7, 2007

In which I exhibit a serious lack of judgement


Be warned, gentle reader, today's post is gruesome. Read on at your own risk.

I was going to include this picture at first with some others, but I have since realized that it fully deserves an entire post all to itself.

"So what exactly is pictured above?" you might find yourself asking. Well, its deep fried 3 layer meat. "What, exactly, might that presume to be?" might be the next question to occur to the enquiring mind, albeit, perhaps not the most prudent question. 3 layer meat is the skin of the pork with the fat attached and sometimes a bit of meat hanging off the very end to keep appearances up, and generally has less lean meat content than bacon. It is, in short, exceptionally fatty uncured bacon. This is then battered with a small amount of flour mixed with egg yolk. The whites are thrown away to ensure an even less healthy result. Then the unholy combination is then bunged into boiling oil until damp, then drug out and heaved in front of the unlucky victim. "What happens next?", you might ask? Well if you did, you'd be sorry.
I wound up eating most of the plate because it is a pretty cool idea. It takes a genius to come up with something that could be said to have a higher fat content than deep fried bacon. I then spent a pretty uneventful afternoon going to town to print out some papers. I met a nice meat wholesaler who specializes in Mutton, Chicken and Dog from Anhui province. I then came home and ate the last two pieces for dinner.
After dinner I suddenly felt as though I was pregnant with a black hole, or something about that painful. Anyway, I didn't take any after pictures, but my pain has so far been limited to a very short length of time and I have begun to believe in the powers of Pu-erh or Pu'er tea to stave off the harmful effects of heavy foods. I drank a bunch of 7 year old stuff and it seems to have kept the heart attack off for the past 6 or so hours; which is about all anyone can reasonably expect. It doesn't get any heavier than this. I challenge anyone to top this story with a food more oily that you actually ate. The only thing I can imagine comparing is eating whale blubber.

No comments: